On May 9, 1939, a plan to bring stamp collecting directly to people residing in cities and towns — large and small — throughout the United States made its debut at the White House in Washington, D.C. in the form of a touring Philatelic Truck. A special ramp had been built into the truck for U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt to tour the interior but the Philatelist-in-Chief opted to view the vehicle from his own car. Later that day, the truck was moved down Pennsylvania Avenue and parked in front of the Post Office Department building where it received a total of 5,872 visitors between then and May 14, each receiving a specially-prepared souvenir sheet pre-printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and distributed from a model Stickney press installed on the truck. On May 15, the mobile stamp exhibit took to the road stopping at the post office and high school in Hyattsville, Maryland, before continuing on to Laurel that day and Baltimore on May 16 and 17. The truck trekked around the United States until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. It’s last date open to the public was December 13, 1941, in San Diego, California.