Excellent condition John L. Thompson Sons & Co. billhead. Measures 8.5″ x 4.75″. Dated July 22, 1890 for 5lbs lump borax @ .10 per lb. Total .50
John L. Thompson Sons & Company traces its origins in Troy back to 1797 when Dr. Samuel Gale Jr. opened an apothecary shop in the city. John L. Thompson joined the business in 1811, and his name was added to the firm in 1821. In 1841 the business became John L. Thompson & Company. The business was primarily engaged in the wholesale drug trade, but also manufactured some patent medicines. The firm went out of business in 1990.
John L. Thompson Sons & Company produced one proprietary die stamp, RS242.
History from the Rensselaer County Historical Society.