RN-F1 Banking House of Bartholow, Lewis & Co. St. Louis 1875
Extremely rare Saint Louis, MO. Banking House of Bartholow, Lewis & Co. draft.1875. Black & red on white. (American Bank Note Co., New York). Payable at National Bank of Commerce, New York. Maiden, child & calf. Portrait of W. T. Sherman. Used, hammer canceled, folds. F. #14547
Soon after the Civil War, John D. Perry, Thomas J. Bartholow and William J. Lewis formed the banking house of Bartholow, Lewis & Co. Through the influence of Mr. Perry, General Bartholow came to Missouri some years before the war. At the breaking out of hostilities General Bartholow joined the Union army and served with distinction, rising to the rank of brigadier-general. He took active charge of the banking firm. Mr. Lewis, in 1866, had, participated in the formation of the Commercial bank. He became the second president of it serving ten years and refusing salary. Bartholow, Lewis & Co. was a partnership in the beginning. In 1872 the firm was incorporated. General Bartholow was president until 1878.