Benjamin A. Fahnestock first marketed a vermifuge in Pittsburgh about 1830, and subsequently described the product in an advertisement as follows: “There can not be any better evidence offered of its efficacy, than its constantly increasing reputation… its remedial virtues are not confined to the United States, but there is constant demand for it from England, South America, West Indies, etc., where it is extensively used.” Fahnestock’s Vermifuge contained castor oil, wormseed, anise, turpentine and tincture of myrrh. Fahnestock also served as general agent of other proprietaries including Dr. Alfred Gale’s Anodyne of Opium and Burnett’s Extracts. Fahnestock died in 1868 and J.E. Schwartz, Pittsburg druggist, assumed the rights to Fahnestock Vermifuge. In partnership with Haslett, J.E. Schwartz and Co., continued to manufacture Fahnestock Vermifuge until the early 20th century.
(Holcombe, Henry w., Weekly Philatelic Gossip, 28: 453-455 July 8 1939; 28: 564, 566, August 5, 1939)