The die carrying the inscription “Garden City Percussion Matches” was used successively by several different parties, but doubt exists as to whether these firms succeeded one another as proprietors of the same factory, or even whether they were all located in Chicago. The original die (R0113) bears the name and portrait of L. G. Hunt, and was approved February 18, 1870. Lyman G. Hunt continued as the proprietor of the Garden City Match Manufactory for about three years.
In October, 1877, the die was altered for HENRY A CLARK, who added his name and replaced Hunt’s portrait with his Masonic trademark (RO61). Presumably Henry A. Clark had been a partner in Ransom, Clark & Co., and had retained ownership of the stamp die during the interval of its disuse.